Tuesday, April 2, 2013

one type

First of all, I hope everyone had a wonderful and blessed Easter!! I don't think I can ever fully understand the true meaning of Easter and sacrifice Jesus made and the power of His resurrection!

This past week I was in the "Angel Wing for Children with Diabetes". Overall, I don't like diabetes - I don't like it as a disease or as a nutrition professional who has to teach diabetes self management. Either way you look at it, it's a hard thing to deal with. Because I don't like diabetes, I often feel uncomfortable giving education on the topic, especially when it comes to the medications and especially when it comes to using a pump to deliver the medication.
When I voiced this concern to my preceptor, she said, "Well, why don't we show you some pumps?" This lead to, "Why don't we hook you up to a pump?" So...that's what we did!


 The pump site was inserted into my belly - and let me tell you...knowingly inserting a small cannula (aka needle) into your body is not an easy thing to do! The whole patch that is on my belly comes in a plastic wrapping that you have to cock, twist and then push a button so that it shoots itself into you... It took me a few minutes to get up the nerve to push the button!

So after 24 hours of having the pump, counting CHOs and dosing my insulin I even more thoroughly disliked diabetes. It really is a lot of work!!!! But it was a great experience for me to have and I feel like it will really help me relate to my future patients!

So here's the aftermath of taking the pump out - which took me about as long to muster up the courage to yank it out as it did to push it in!

And here is the cannula that was inside me :-)

But kinsley didn't seem to mind it when I had the pump








No comments:

Post a Comment