Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Oral Exam

Oh snap!
So, today I had my first oral exam! Well, technically it was a quiz, but when you have to face every single preceptor and regurgitate diet prescriptions on the spot...it's an exam.

Here's how it goes.
We had an oral quiz over our "phase one diet prescriptions". Basically, this means that we needed to be able to recite any and all diet prescriptions that could be used in basic, easy-to-handle patients during our first phase (the first three weeks of the internship). The diets could include, but are not limited to
  • 2g Sodium with Fluid Restriction
  • Wired Jaw
  • Heart Healthy
  • Dysphagia I
  • Dysphagia II-III
  • Kosher
  • Gluten Free
  • Fat Free
  • Lactose Free
  • Etc
Well, those first four listed are the ones that my class was given to talk about. Thankfully, my particular assignment was the Heart Healthy Diet! I had prayed to get, "an easy one" and I am thankful! I spent all day Monday with heart patients so I would have felt pretty comfortable with either the 2g Na or Heart Healthy. Thanking the Lord that He delivered me through my first oral quiz - and I didn't even shed a tear!!!!

p.s. All the interns totally nailed it - great job to all my classmates!!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so stressful! But I must say I am proud to say that after my experience this summer in a hospital I knew all of those diets!!! I guess our professors are right, experience is totally needed! Congrats on nailing it girl!

    ReplyDelete